View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
soberinwpg

Originally Posted by lostmyway View Post
I had a heart to heart with my mom last night and told her the truth about my drinking, how much and how long it has gone on. She had no idea how bad it was, but I'm not that surprised, because I had the ability to be completely drunk and still talk perfectly, walk a straight line...I was completely functional. I chose to tell my mom because I want her support, especially during the holidays. My mom is the only person in my family (no exaggeration) that is not an alcoholic. At first she wanted to blame my dad, saying that my drinking was a result of a combination of genetics and living in fear of his drunken rages throughout my childhood. I told her that I am 27 years old now and am not about to blame anyone for anything...it's MY problem. In the end she was just happy to hear that I am taking the steps to recovery. Plus, it won't hurt that she can help me fend off my drunken grandpa at Christmastime who is always asking, "You want another one?" LOL. Anyway, this was a positive experience for me; I feel like a big weight has been lifted off my chest, and I just wanted to share.
You inspired me to be honest at my group today.

Thank you.