View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ives

Originally Posted by Forever4you View Post
You seem to be under the impression that you can somehow "control" things where she is concerned. You can't. Save yourself a lot of pain and grief and accept right now that the only thing you are in control of is YOU. Being the alcohol police will not only turn you into a raving lunatic but it will not do one thing to change her behaviour. Trust me, I know.

If you choose to stay with her until the baby is born the best thing you can do is get yourself some help through therapy and Al Alanon. Detachment will be the key to your sanity. Trying to monitor her, the alcohol consumption, her acitons etc. will make you insane. And that baby is going to need one sane parent out of the two.
Thank you.

What I am planning is to remain detached. That is not difficult for me at this stage in the game. She has asked me to be there for 'moral support' during the pregnancy, so I am giving her that. In the meantime, my counselor and Al-anon will be what I will do.

I won't be trying to control her consumption, but I think my mere presence without mentioning it or anything will help. When I am around, she only drinks once a week (that I am aware of) at least, that is what she was doing before, until I made the mistake of getting on her case about it, and then she pulled away and increased her usage, mainly out of defiance - I.e. 'You can't tell me what to do!!!!'

But I most definitely am taking to heart the three C's. If I try to control it, it only makes it worse.