View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

Originally Posted by KeepPedaling View Post
give him sobriety and the power to make him drink. He told me this when I said he could not come and stay with me. He thinks staying with me will help him get off of the binge drunk he's been on for weeks. .
If you had that power, addicts would be knocking down your door trying to get "the magic stuff" off you. Whether he truly believes this or whether he is trying to manipulate you doesn't matter. You simply do not control other people's actions and feelings.

He said, "I did tell the sponsor and he totally understands. He knows it's true." .
Ha. This is pure B.S. Talk to his sponsor if you need confirmation of said B.S.

I suppose if I let him stay with me, he'll stop drinking for awhile. But would it last?
No. You know it won't.

If I say no and he becomes a full-blown full-time drunk again, drops out of college, and ends up homeless, is it a little bit my fault?
No, his choices, his responsibility.

You are NOT there with a gun to his head, making him drink or not drink. Every moment he is walking towards the fridge, opening it, taking out a beer, swallowing, he is making a choice. You do not control this.

If I just get him through Christmas, will he be ok?
It is not your responsibility to "get him through Christmas". He can choose to do that for himself or not.

Please don't take this poison apple he is offering you.

I can't let him come over.
Exactly.