View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 12:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SpaceButler

It's dangerous IMO when alcohol itself doesn't keep you from being productive. It can be hard to rationalize why you want to quit. I think in those cases, being hyper rational about it can help.

For instance, there's really no defense for consistent drinking. It's a money sink; and in the same way the down sides are gone by the afternoon, the 'benefits' are gone in a few hours. As an adult, there's no rationalization for spending money on alcohol regularly.

Another thing that I think recreational drunks have a problem with is what I call the 'Soap Opera Effect'. There are a ton of soap operas and reality shows out there that you've never seen, and don't think twice about. BUT if you watch just a little bit of that show, you won't be able to tear yourself away. You'll be hooked, and probably watch a lot more than is healthy. I feel it's similar to alcohol in some ways. When facing the idea of quitting, you think about all that you'll miss by doing that; but once your life re-focuses around more productive things, you can be confident that you won't miss the drinking.

Your story rang a bell with me, so I hope this does the same for you.