Thread: Lighten up AA
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
andyaddict
Certified NA Counselor

Originally Posted by navysteve View Post
I do not need to talk about my excessive drug use ( our stories disclose in a general way....). I do not see why this is such an issue and why some try to tie this to intolerance???? That is just ignorance. I don't go to church to talk about taxes, even though there may be an accountant or two in there!
If your taxes are keeping you from seeing/feeling the sunlight of the Spirit... well? I guess that's your prerogative to use the church as you see fit.

How about we adopt "confine your discussion to the problems and solutions of alcohol" as Middletown Group #1 Rule #63...

Yes sir, we'd cater only to pure and respectable alcoholics! Any others would surely destroy us. Besides, if we took in those odd ones, what would decent people say about us? We built a fine-mesh fence right around A.A. "Maybe this sounds comical now. Maybe you think we oldtimers were pretty intolerant. But I can tell you there was nothing funny about the situation then. We were grim because we felt our lives and homes were threatened, and that was no laughing matter. Intolerant, you say? Well, we were frightened. Naturally, we began to act like most everybody does when afraid. After all, isn't fear the true basis of intolerance? Yes, we were intolerant.

Is it really ignorance to simply consider ourselves succumbing to intolerance?

a