View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 11:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
gerryP

Horselover, great thread.

I think most "alcoholics in recovery" do wonder what others opinions are of them when they are not drinking alcohol especially at an event, at one time or another. I find this to have been true more so when I have been in the company of people I didn't know, at a wedding, or a business dinner function, or as you experienced a Holiday party. People are inquisitive and whether it be none of their business or rude...people do and will ask.

This will be my 5th sober Christmas and my not drinking has always caused someone to notice and mention the fact that I'm not drinking. Do I care? The short answer is no, but it does cause me to wonder why they ask....what is their reference point, are they assuming I have a drinking problem because someone close to them does and can't drink at all. We can't control what other people think or what assumptions they may make, but it does happen. Questions are asked and my thoughts on the question does cross my mind, before moving on.

Someone posted most of the world doesn't drink like alcoholics and while that is true, I don't think you were asking what people thought if you *weren't* hanging from the ceiling fan.

Having a quick answer at the ready is always a good idea I think. I have a few depending on, to whom and where I am.

Hey...! Congrats on 2nd sober December!!