View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
skroomadoom

Never been on either, but I've heard from friends that it's easier to get off suboxone than methadone if the goal is to be clean from opiates entirely. Suboxone still requires tapering however and there still might be some withdrawls, although they likely won't be as bad as methadone. A friend of mine tapered all the way down to 1mg/day of suboxone and still had withdrawls, but I've had other friends who just went from their DOC to a quick suboxone taper and had minimal withdrawls. It really just depends on the person.

One other big advantage with suboxone is being able to have it prescribed without having to deal with a clinic. I have friends who are on suboxone who live basically "normal" lives now and most people would never know that they used to be addicts. Suboxone allowed them to change their behaviors and I also believe the fact that they are still taking it helps them stay clean. I have seen several people try to jump off all opiates too quickly and end up relapsing. Maybe they would have been better off if they had just stayed on suboxone. May I ask if you plan to stay on suboxone for a while or are you trying to get off opiates altogether?