# 7 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Welcome back Margareta!

Time for the 3 C's

You did not cause the addiction
You could not control the addiction
You could not cure the addiction

Be gentle with yourself. You were fair and honest about your boundaries. He did not respect your boundaries and wanted you to accept his alcoholism.

Remember this from your first post?:
Originally Posted by Margareta View Post
When I got there I realized that he had lied to me, he hadn’t stopped drinking, that made me very upset but the wedding was close and he promised again to leave the alcohol and I guess I wasn’t strong enough to cancel the wedding I also loved him very much. We got married.

Since then we have gone through lots of arguments about the drinking. He has promised me to leave it but he always ends up doing it. He now says that he only promised that because he was under my pressure and he doesn’t really want to stop drinking. He says that he had really horrible childhood experiences and that’s why he drinks. I have asked him to get professional help and we have tried it but he doesn’t believe in “that”.

He also says that he is not satisfied with his professional life and other problems and if those problems are there he will keep drinking. We have been close to divorce several times but we always come back because I love him and I feel guilty for leave him just like that, but when we are fine again I feel angry and manipulated because now I find myself accepting his addiction.

He is the only one that can get help for his issues. Until he is willing to find help and make changes in his own life - it will be the same old, same old. Alcoholism is progressive and it gets worse.