Thread: How to Start
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
skroomadoom

How to Start

I know there's got to be a sticky around here somewhere for this but I was looking and couldn't find it so I'll ask anyway.

How do I start the recovery process? So far I'm 3 days sober. I've been reading some threads on here and I'm reading the big book a bit too. I also plan to go to my first NA meeting on Friday so hopefully that will be helpful as well.

The problem is I still feel really...shaky I guess? Like I'm so close to drinking/using again and going right back down the rabbit hole and I'm worried that I might not come back out you know? I've made a few half-assed attempts at quitting before and obviously they never worked out. It's like I can have all the motivation in the world to stay sober right now but you never know how I'm gonna feel an hour from now or a day from now or whatever.

Tomorrow is going to be very difficult since I finish my finals and I know there will be a big temptation to go drink to "celebrate". This weekend will probably be rough as well since it's my first sober weekend in a long time and I know all my friends will want to go out and drink now that exams are over. I'm going to be staying at home with my parents over the winter break so my plan for now is just to stay there all weekend so I won't be tempted.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice on how to stay strong and how to start the recovery process.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by skroomadoom; 12-09-2009 at 06:23 PM.