View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 03:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
barb dwyer
same planet...different world

tiburon -

*sigh*

I have just .. well a couple of things to say.
one is for clarity
the other is for my own peace of mind.

One -

if this was an 'Alano Club' you, and mostly anyone reading this
looking for a reason to hate aa need to understand something.
and especially for those looking for help from the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous...

Alano Clubs are NOT representative of Alcoholics Anonymous. They are a separately incorporated buisness, usually run in the same building as meetings, but is in NO WAY corporately associated or attached to Alcoholics Anonymous. This from the date for the first charter.
They can make their own rules, ban whom they wish, and need no permission for AA to do any thing.

If it was a group of Alcoholics Anonymous, and this was a 'business meeting' or even a 'group conscience' meeting - then you, not they have to consider the events that led the people who are committed to recovery to 'ban' you from further meetings.
I am stating that I guarantee that it was not 'arbitrary' nor was it without considerable thought and prayer.
One thing that has to be considered, along with the 'the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking' tradition, is that ... while you have a right to want to be sober, you do NOT have the right to disturb, threaten, undermine, or disrupt the meeting held for and with the intention of those who ARE ready to do what it takes.

Now, for the peace of mind part:

Son, if you put as much time and energy into not drinking
and learning to be sober
to learning what it is to be a recovering alcoholic
and to helping others...
as you do knocking Alcoholics Anonymous....
putting people down, criticising the founders,
and those who have achieved sobriety
and done it one day at a time for quite a while...
you'd be an oldtimer by now.

You would already have the recognition you so desperately hunger for.

You can't start out as an expert.

in anything.

You need to get over that
or you'll not succeed

ever.

In anything.

Learn the humility of being teachable, son.

Tht's my advice.