View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Lionne
not little, a stranger no more

Kava (piper methysticum) products are banned over here in many european countries because there were some 40 known cases where the use of pharmaceutical kava kava products may have been a factor in severe liver damage. Research seems to iindicate that it may have to do with what part of the plant has been used and the dosage. I came across the ceremonial use of this plant in social anthropology classes and I have consumed it once years ago in this context. It tasted like drinking a spoonful of mud diluted in a glass of water and it makes the tip of your tongue go slightly numb. It has a certain mood elevating ability, reduces inhibitions and from what I remember, it had (although mildly) some carateristics associated to doing a drug or drinking.
Aside of the health contoversy about liver damage that has not been completely solved yet, I wouldn't recommend to use it regularly over an extended period of time. In fact, from how I experienced it, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has dealt with any form of addiction to be honest, since it is mood altering and there is a potential for abuse in my opinion.