View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Kava for anxiety?

So most of us have a high level of daily anxiety. Mine certainly fueled a need to drink and drinking eventually fueled the anxiety. But I quit drinking and so many things are falling into place and I am happy with myself. ANXIETY is better but still present.

I see a therapist every few weeks, I have tried every med worth trying, I eat well and exercise very often. Sure, there are other avenues I have not tried yet but I will when I get to them. But for now I am trying KAVA KAVA... its an herb and I wonder if anyone else has tried it??

I've taken it a few days now and I actually feel a difference. I'd say it can have about 1/2 the effect what ativan or klonopin can do. My shoulders feel more relaxed and my thinking is more stable -- greatly reduced the obsessive thinking that fuels my nervousness. From what I've read on websites it can make you drowsy at high quantities but I suppose I am not taking more than recommend amounts. Apparently you can make teas with this.

Now there are some things that website caution about. First, it is an herb and while the root of the herb is safe, apparently the stem and leaves of the plant are not. This can hurt your liver and the product label needs to be clear about this.

Second... I almost purchased a liquid extract but noticed at the last second that this extract is made with alcohol. Not an option. I bought capsules instead.

Supposedly this is why Polynesians are so happy as kava has been part of their culture for a bizzillion years or something like that. I hope there is truth to that.

So far no side effects, just less anxiety. Thoughts? Similar experiences?