Thread: powerless
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bernadette

...even if we move out I feel like he would still sit there and worry (and drink) just the same if not more....

Very good observation and right on the nose. he absolutely will continue to drink because he is an alcoholic and that's what alcoholics do. All the alcoholics in my life - they drink whether there are stressors in their life or whether they just won the lottery. Doesn't matter. They drink because that's what alcoholics do. And if/when they stop for good it is a big deal and they have to work hard at recovery and it really changes them.

I feel like it's not fair that the reason Cory and I have to break up is because his parents couldn't keep it together.

I would not blame Cory's parents for Cory's choices. If you do then there is no hope for him and you may continue to fantasize about a "different" Cory - who hasn't lived the life this Cory has....does that make sense? You have to accept him just as he is today 100%. He is choosing to behave the way he is. He is choosing to drink instad of change. Also, don't you "have to break up" because he is a violent alcoholic? No one should treat you the way you are being treated. There's no love, decency, honor, respect or joy in the way you are being treated. You have a choice not to tolerate it.

The past is gone. You are free in THIS moment.

Get the focus off all the insanity around you and back on you. Your mental and physical health is at risk here.

peace-
b