Thread: Court tomorrow
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cassandra2

I remember having to face my abusive ex husband in court for the last time. I too called a DV help line and someone was there to sit with me and basically hold my hand. She was wonderful. Just the thought of facing him had me freaked out. I had a hard time breathing, was sweaty and shaky.

My ex's attorney came to the room we were in and started badgering me and asking me all kinds of questions. The DV woman stood between us and told the attorney he was done. I was so relieved. Anyway, I guess because of my reaction to the attorney he recommended to my ex that he plead guilty and not risk me getting on the stand (this was suppose to be a jury trial). And he did that. Plead guilty and I could go home without ever having to look at him. I was so relieved.

I say all of that to let you know that what you are feeling now is totally "normal" for the situation you are in. I am really glad that you called someone. That is what they are there for and too often women (usually) dont take advantage of it. I didnt the first couple of times it happened but the last time I did and like I said it was well worth it. She was so calm and helpful. She held my hand and was just there for me. By this time most of my family were fed up with all of this and no on came to court with me. So to have her there was truly a gift from God.

I wish you the best and just wanted to let you know that others have been in yours shoes and lived to tell about it. Take care of yourself and just know that you are doing the right thing.