View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
liesagain

xanax is a highly addictive drug, it also has serious side effects when stopped abruptly, this medication when abused or when stopped abruptly can cause death ....

I'm not sure what doctor gave your brother the xanax, but the doctor must not be aware of his addiction issues.

Taking more than the prescribed amount or taking it more frequently than ordered~~~~ is an abuse of the medication ............with ANYONE thats not a good sign---- but expecially with an addict ------so the answer to your question is Yes he is abusing drugs again.

You said you wanted to help him......With all of that said............I want to mention that theres nothing you can do to make your brother stop using drugs, you didnt cause it you cant control it and you can't cure it.

You mentioned that you asked him about the xanax......I'm not trying to be mean but asking him is point less he ( his brain) wants the drug hes not going to say.......yeah its just the same or its harmful for me...........often the addict is in such denial themselves they cant see the truth much less tell the truth

..the thing is-- an active addict who wants to find recovery from their addiction doesnt continue to use other drugs.........they inform their doctors so the arent given narcotic or controlled drugs, they dont drink and they work a solid program...........it doesnt sound like hes doing those things.........

You mentioned your family and how it almost tore you all apart before.........addiction is a family disease.....it hurts everyone not just the person using...........

did you notice the sticky posts on the top of the forum? Theres alot of good information for families in the sticky posts both on the friends and families of substance abuse and alcoholics
try reading some of that and stick around others will be by with support...........