View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
worriedbrother

Unhappy I think my brother is using again.

I have a brother who was addicted to painkillers. In Feb. of 2009, he was sent to jail for 5 months. He was released in July of 2009. He claims that he got off the painkillers in jail. Shortly after he was released, he got a prescription for xanaxs. The prescription is for one in the morning and one at bedtime.

He is 34. He still lives at home. He makes 10.00/hr working 32-35 hrs/week. He has no bills to pay. He is always broke. He always has an excuse of where his money went. Usually he says his girlfriend needed some help paying a bill. I have seen him messed up a couple of times since he has been released. Droopy eyes and slowed speech. He said that he just took both xanaxs for the day at the same time.

Our dad gave him a job when he got out. He was always late for work and always had to leave early. He worked about half the time. This went on for about 2 months. He said the reason why he missed work and got the xanaxs is because there is an adjustment period from being jail to being in the real world. I have heard of this, but would think that you would have to be in jail for more than 5 months to be this bad.

I asked him if the xanaxs were like giving an alcoholic a beer. He said that he was addicted to painkillers and has never been addicted to xanaxs, therefore it did not affect his sobriety. He claims he can put the xanaxs down anytime.

Am I wrong to think that my brother is abusing again. He does seem better than before he went to jail. I want to help him. If he is using again, I don't know if I can handle it. He just about tore our family apart.