View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
PuzzledinTX

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
Can I keep asking you unrelated questions for the rest of my life? LOL

Bf's grandmom is Catholic.

Bf tells me we may visit her. But that would mean going to mass and he would be teaching me prayers, as grandmom can't go out of her home and some little services are held at her home.

To attend mass one time is one thing, I am respectful, but to go there on Sundays and spend my morning and afternoon doing stuff to please someone else? My bf is not even Catholic but as she is from a very small town, he does those things to make her happy.

I am not sure where is the line between "fitting in" and being a codie again trying to please everybody. I don't want to be a chamaleon again.

My only "solutions" so far are

/ never meeting her grandmom
/ going, but briefly, for lunch or something and avoid the times I know they do religious activities.

Comments welcome...........
I would go with option #2, speaking from experience. I'm Episcopalian by affiliation, but have family members who are United Pentecostal with whom I don't exactly share a common theology.
One has a habit of trying to completely take over the rest of the household when he's visiting by saying grace before meals while trying to drown out whoever took the initiative first, trying to force people into listening to his beliefs for several minutes on end, etc. I've had to flat-out refuse to even be around him when he starts "playing preacher." The ironic thing is-he's a recovering (?) alcoholic.
Having such differences can cause tension that doesn't need to exist. I know my situation's a bit different, but thought any input might help