Thread: Saturday
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
chrisinaustin

In terms of the music thing... I know what you're talking about -- get a good buzz on, not really drunk but juiced enough that those emotions get able to be stirred up. Fire up iTunes, run through some of the songs that always have meant something to you, but when you hear them this way, it's so much more. Sometimes it's like hearing them for the first time. Just you and the song, headphones, I dunno... maybe a little weed on the side? You can totally lose yourself. I've totally been there.

For me though, had someone had a birds-eye view of those moments of mine, all they would see was a drunk slobbery goo-ball, home alone, lost in his own little cocoon, deep in his own headspace, introspective to the point of isolation. About as social as a rock.

(My apologies if my experience has missed the mark. However, if it hasn't...)

Ironically, that sounds similar to where you fear yourself now: Alone and incapable of socialization But that is not where you are. You are simply seeing the world through new eyes and hearing its music through new ears. It's OK. Nothing has been taken from you. Instead of spending more time in your head trying to "play it through" and obsessing about the future, try to just be OK (and maybe more than OK) with your experience as it is right now. If you need something to get excited about, try this: You're 23. Please -- give me one night to walk back into any social situation 14 years ago as a sober version of my 23-year-old self. I will OWN it.

And dude, the music will always be there. It will sound better as time goes on then it ever did while rockin' it drunk. Music is one of the truest things our pure human souls ever created. It needs no chemical to be expressed in its highest form.

Neither do you.

P.S. Who said you had to be even-keeled?