View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
TakingCharge999
A jug fills drop by drop

Thank you all for your comments.

When I lived in Singapore I took some Indian dance lessons... I loved the street the classes were held as it had a buddhist shrine, hindu temple and a mosque, the 3 of them just next to each other. Everyone paying their own respects, no fights, blood, airs of superiority or judgement. Respect... I wish it was like that everywhere....!

Ago, no I have not married! I said in-laws... perhaps it should have been "possible future in-laws"... as we are more or less aiming for marriage on the longer term (after a few more years).. we joke and already talk about "his mother in law" etc.

The "living in sin" issue is just his grandma's... but of course, my boyfriend is grandma's favorite.... so as he is "the male".. whatever he does... HE is accepted you know? the judgement of being sinful, having no morals, etc. is on me. (Welcome to Mexican Machism).

And now that you mention it.. I realize as I am thinking of sharing a home without being married, and bf already told her about those plans... Said Grandma already knows I do not have the same views as her....

Now the issue is if she will still be kind with me or not.. but... not my problem anyway right?

Usually I attend social events that include religious ceremonies.. like my graduation, someone's wedding, etc... no problem....

My bf told me "if grandma wakes us up to attend mass we can just go walk downtown, eat something and come back"

Oh well. I just don't get those dynamics and lies...

Fortunately I got time to think what may be best... my mom told me, if the topic comes up, I can focus on our similarities... I do believe in God anyway... I believe in angels too (like energies that one can invoke in meditation..) .. I also believe in miracles... in that sense I have more in common with grandma than my bf who is an ATHEIST...

What a mess. LOL.

But yes, the solution so far is visiting just for lunch. Then as we know each other... if I am still invited after my first impression lol, we can make other arrangements...

Bf is confused too and he worries his family and some friends won't accept me... because of religion, or because my accent is different or because I come from the capital. I told him that I would be kind but if there is some remark or comment... I would speak up and be honest about my views...

Perhaps that is why he has not introduced me to anyone yet

And well he realizes all these things and is also becoming more distant with them... its like we both prefer to be alone or meet up instead of socializing with said people. We are making new friends that seem more in our wavelength...

Down here the Catholic church (as an institution) is very very powerful, and has a lot of say in social/political issues. For instance, condoms are banned in certain pharmacies because the owner doesn't believe in contraception. The-morning-after pill was also banned. Women who have abortions -for ANY reason, even rape- go to jail. Poverty is rampant yet they say women should have all the children God sends.

Statistics on violence against women come out and priests say, if women wouldn't use skirts, if women wouldn't provoke anger, this would not happen.

Not to mention the great number of child abuse commited by priests. So much harm is done using religion as a tool to keep the poor poor.. oh well. I just feel very strongly about this..

Just giving some background on my context. I am not criticizing personal beliefs...

I am rambling so much..... thanks a lot for taking the time to share your views!