Thread: I Need Help
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 05:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jester1025

Unhappy I Need Help

Hello everyone. I am brand new to this website. I am 34 years old and have been a heavy drinker since I was about 17. Sadly, during the past few years, I have become a nightly drinker. I currently drink about 12-15 beers every night, and I drink even more on the weekends. To be perfectly honest, it is not even very much fun anymore. I simply drink every night so that I will be in a good mood. My life has become incredibly boring because I have lost interest in just about anything that does not revolve around drinking beer. Lately, I have begun to realize that I am not living life at all. Instead, I am simply tolerating life during the day in my depressed/hungover state. Then by the time I get home from work, I begin drinking beer in order to numb that pain that I feel from being hungover. And thus the cycle continues. I have finally realized that if I do not put a stop to this now, I will most likely be in some real trouble in the next 10-15 years, if not sooner. However, I am afraid of what life will be like without drinking beer. Is sobriety really worth it? Can a heavy drinker's body really heal itself over time if they remain sober? Or has the damage that I have done to myself over the past 17 years of drinking permanent? I am still relatively young at age 34, but if it will not benefit me healthwise to quit drinking, then why should I? I guess I need to believe that the benefits of staying sober will greatly outweigh those of drinking. These are some of the questions and fears that I have. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.