Originally Posted by Richard54 View Post
No recover progammes...no meetings..?

"keep doing this and inevitably die pretty soon...or try something different."

Dee ..what on earth has worked for you?
What have you done differently?
What has worked for you?

Was it simply a 'choice'?
Of living and dying?

Black and White?...One path leads this way..I'm going that way instead..?

Was it just your commitment...?

Is it your Higher Power...a semi-spiritual awakening of self

What the heck are you doing to make it? I'm sorry to pry your brain for your secrets...please share...

I know the help you give to others still struggling gives you strength.

I'm sorry man, but I am totally intrigued.

What on earth has worked for you the most on your journey?

No program...no meetings...Man I'm lookin for answers too....
What worked?
I wish I had a Dee Plan - do this and you'll be great.

I don't - I only have what worked for me.

What worked was not drinking Richard.
I know that sounds like a wiseguy answer but it's not.

I nearly died. No hyperbole. I nearly died, and when I found myself in that situation it sorted out my priorities pretty quick.

I accepted that drinking was bad, inevitably terminal for me, and resolved never to drink again.

I've come close to breaking that vow several times, but each time I made sure I would at least reach out to people who could help me before I drank - and each time I made it through.

The longer I don't drink the more sane my brain gets, the more I get used to dealing with life sober and the less likely I am to think of drinking as a response or a solution to anything. I'm also gifted with a far greater degree of clarity. I used to BS myself stupid.

Fears a great motivator - but I'm glad I came here to SR because I think fear would have only kept me sober for so long.

I changed my life - my old life was totally self indulgent - I wasn't an evil guy but all I did was fill my desires...

my new life...I'm not a saint...but I do a lot of service...it just seems right to me to do it and it doesn't seem a chore....mostly anyway LOL

Obviously I could waffle on all day here

I also got lucky - I found my partner just when I needed her, and I found God along the way too...but all that was icing really.

in a sentence?

The 'Dee plan' is don't drink, be honest with yourself, reach out to others to try and ensure that - and find a vocation whatever that is - find a way that you can be the best person you can be...thats how I think we can restore ourselves to sanity.

Sane people don't want to destroy themselves

D

Last edited by Dee74; 11-25-2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typo