Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. I wrote this tribute to her earlier today for a pet-related forum I frequent.

Raven (April 15, 1993-November 23, 2009)

Raven passed peacefully today with me holding her and kissing her silky soft ear. She was with me a total of 8 1/2 years of her life (her first 4 years and the last 4 1/2).

She gave me so much more than I could ever have given to her.

She taught me resiliency and how to defy the odds. Despite being given substandard care by my oldest daughter for 8 years, I think she knew she would end up in my home and my life full-time in the end.

She taught me that a dog's heart has more love than any of us can comprehend. When she was laying down, I would rub her neck and ears, and she would literally take one front paw and hook it over my arm as if to say, "I love you."

She taught me that even old golden oldies can take pleasure in things like wading in the river on a hot summer day. Whipped cream can be a big hit on a sweet 16th birthday.

She taught me the value of a good long snooze when necessary! It's okay to slow down, rest, and let the world go on by.

She taught me to never take life too seriously. The picture of her and Lori Ann begging for nutty bars, Raven's expression never changing despite her mood, will always make my heart laugh!

She taught me to savor every moment God gives us. Being the oldest and slowest eater in the house, she would literally drive the other dogs nuts as she took the time to taste her food. Then she would procede to lick her bowl for another five minutes as they looked on longingly! I often thought I should be standing beside her with a soft towel and finger bowl.

She taught me that love knows no bounds. My crockpot worked overtime making Isaac's stew for her when she started losing weight. I lifted her into bed with me every night, and we faced each other as I stroked her face while she fell asleep. My mopped worked overtime because of the heart medications, and little old ladies don't get to the back door very fast.

She will always be in my heart.