View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MrsMagoo

I'm there with you Littlebird. My AH lost his job due to his addiction so after he got out of treatment we decided that maybe it was a good time to go ahead and have knee surgery (since he didn't have a job) and he could concentrate on his recovery.

It will be exactly two years ago this Monday after Thanksgiving that we went into detox and a co-worker spotted him (he was a substance abuse counselor). The doctor did him no favors by taking him out of work for medical reasons (therefore no consquences or loss of license). He worked last Christmas for 3 months out of town and relapsed, spending ALL, and I mean ALL his money on crack. I was sending him money. Of course I didn't know otherwise I never would have sent him a dime. He went back into treatment after that job and has never worked again. He's perfectly happy collecting unemployment. It was his "paycheck".

Now he's homeless, using again and still collecting his "paycheck" which ticks me off because that's my dime and your dime and he's not making an effort to do anything but live off the system.

I understand recovery is a full time job but so is LIFE and us big boys and girls have to handle multiple things on a daily basis and we don't crack up (no pun intended). Nowhere in the program does it say that the participant is to quit life in order to work the steps.