Old 11-22-2009, 03:57 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
naive

hi opus-

it is not uncommon for things to settle down temporarily once the addict feels a shift in their partner. you say he has stopped drinking since your first post here, for example. this is not surprising, nor uncommon.

my personal situation was the reverse of yours. i'm in the uk, but my family was in the states. i do understand being penniless, pregnant to an abusive drinker, in another country and in trouble.

i don't want to be alarmist, but i'm not sure how your situation is going to get any better, unless he re-enters recovery. however, you say he has been drinking since february, that's 10 months now. you also state he has a few DUIs under his belt (as did mine) so you have good cause to believe that he will drink and drive. what if he does this with the children in the car? or the baby?

may i ask, what is going to change once the new baby arrives?

may i ask, has he ever thrown anything or punched a door in anger?

my concern is that once you have this new little girl, you will really be trapped there and he will have rights to the child. you have a window of opportunity here, prior to the birth.

for myself, i know that i did not breathe a word of what was going on in my home to my friends and faimily. the good people here said to open my mouth and start talking.

may i ask, have you told anyone about what is going on? does your mother know? your friends where you live?

the fact that he hasn't drank for a week is par for the course. i would imagine he senses a shift in you and is quiet and calm, feeling your withdrawal.

i hope that you keep talking here, as things unfold. you will receive good support here.

what i discovered once i opened my mouth to those who loved me, was that the offers of help came flooding in. things which appeared insurmountable quickly solved themselves.

one last question, i know that you have all of your things packed, but do you have a getaway bag? i felt much better once i had one small backpack, with critical things, like my passport, birth certificate, a piece of paper with all account codes and phone numbers i might need, as well as a bit of cash.

i ended up needing to grab it quickly and go. i hope you are never in that situation but i rested a bit easier knowing i had those things available and ready.

naive