View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sofacat
work in progress

Hello,

I can't say that I don't understand your dilemma. RAH is a Catholic...not practicing anymore, I believe they call it a Recovering Catholic : ) anyway...his parents are from Massachusetts and pretty devout to their rituals. I am an agnostic.

I have been to masses with them, and also sit quietly every time we have dinner to let them pray. I just consider it a very nice gesture and don't take anything personally. I don't mind going to church with them on occasion because I find it cultural and interesting. I just like spending time with them, and if that is what they believe, then I respect that. They know I'm an agnostic, and they never question or condemn me for it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't think it's being Codependent or people pleasing to sometimes be with people in an atmosphere you're not comfortable in. I don't necessarily like football, but I will watch or go to a game on occasion. I absolutely despise going to baby showers, but I go anyway, and Lord only knows how many bad movies I have sat through because I was with someone who absolutely HAD to see it!

I guess it all depends on how you look at things.

Best of luck to you, and Happy Thanksgiving