Old 11-21-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
naive

hi opus-

firstly, welcome to SR.

you mentioned that your parents and family are in the UK. does this mean that you are a british citizen also?

if so, you can come here and have your baby in the UK on the NHS.

it also means that you would be eligible for your own council flat and benefit for you and your child, plus all sorts of additional payments on top of your dole for you now, at this stage of your pregnance.

i was sitting here thinking that one option for you would be to high tail it over here immediately to the UK, be with your family these last weeks, have their support during your delivery, while claiming some beneifts and getting some cash on your own.

then, you can consider your options here or return to your alcoholic boyfriend.

if you chose to stay in the UK, you don't have to be beholden...you can claim benefits and get your own place. single mums are always top of the list for housing and the social services would pay even for items like a new crib, pram, etc.

perhaps it might be the wake up call he needs to get serious about his recovery. or not.

the main thing is that you and new baby are safe and loved.

i also liked the idea someone put forward to not put his name on the birth certificate. here in scotland, where i live, the father has no rights to the child in an unmarried situation unless he takes it to court, where they would essentially grant him visitation.

that would give you full custudy and the ability to spare your new baby the life of living with an alcoholic, should you so choose.

plus, it would put you and your baby in a safe environment for now, also with support from your family.

you'd have to move quickly and i'm sure you don't want to fly at this stage of your preganancy but it is a very real option for you and gives you plenty of time and distance to focus on your new arrival.

naive