View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
wanting

My grandma (dad's mom) was uber-Catholic. She went to church daily. When we would go to visit her, we'd do the Sunday thing, but be out and about the rest of the time. It was a personal thing for her to go daily, but she did want us all there on Sundays. As a kid, it was boring as hell, and my mom was not thrilled with it, but we did it as a tradition thing and as a respect thing. My mom even converted to Catholicism before they got married, to appease her. I think, if I were in your shoes, I might just go for the first visit with an open mind and participate in whatever activities the family has planned. Then you could get a better idea of what you're in for if you visit in the future, and you'll have a better idea of how to avoid the stuff that you really didn't enjoy. Plus, you'd leave a really great first impression. I don't know if you've ever been to a Catholic mass, but they're pretty mellow and ritualistic and they're pretty short and sweet compared with some other denominations - in and out in an hour has always been my experience. And I've never heard a priest preach politics either, if that matters to you. I don't know if I could sit through an abortion, feminism, or homosexuality rant at this point in my life, which I sat through many-a time when I was living with Fundamentalists (a story for another day).