View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Tytan

Originally Posted by Asta1 View Post

What a good question for us all to ask ourselves! There were so many things that seemed out of the question when drinking, especially those things that involved driving. Driving to Vienna for example. Would you have tried that a few months ago? I know I wouldn't have tried anything near that.

For myself, you really gave me some food for thought. I think I'll start a written list as things occur to me. Maybe I'll carry that, along with my Cost/Benefit Analysis, in my purse to look at when I am anywhere near the liquor store.
Huh... would I have done it? I don't know... probably... I was a late in the day drinker... so driving wouldn't have bothered me... it would have been the non-stop bender when I got to Vienna that would have been the problem.
Yeah, write the list of possibilities. Right now I have three things on my list:

1. Finish my spiritual journey, but I’ve mentioned in a previous post. The booze put that part of my life on hold for a long time. It’s giving something for me and my wife to explore together… and God willing forgiveness will come from there.

2. My thesis, I’m actually in grad school on top of everything else… I’ve been working on it for almost four years. I am taking my last graded class now, then I am going to take a quarter off for the birth of my second son… and then I am going to enroll in my Thesis Writing quarter… so right now on my list is organizing my thesis.

3. Finally, write a book. I’ve always aspired to be a writer. I have folders and folders of ideas and outlines that I have put together over the years. But every time I actually sit down to “put ink to page” I would sit down with a glass of booze… because it helped the creativity flow… for about a paragraph… and then all that was flowing was the booze… and my bladder.

So, I guess my plan is to “fix” me, finish school, and finally give myself a fair shake at achieving my dream (even if I just finish the book for myself and never publish it… it will be something that I actually created and finished).
So yeah, think about it… make a list. Tell us about it.

-Tytan