View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hammerhead

Originally Posted by Forever4you View Post
My story is no different from so many I have read. I married the absolute love of my life 12 years ago. Unfortunately however, the last five of those twelve have been pure hell. What was once a casual and social thing turned into full blown alcoholism for him and lives were destroyed.

Currently he is in rehab for the third time in 18 months and not because he really wanted to go but because it was the better option. The first time he stayed sober 22 days. The second time he made it all of 9 days. Then came a DUI and a trip to jail. After that I threw him out and filed for a divorce and he went 33 days without a drop. So you can guess what's coming next.....I took him back.

I feel like such a fool. I know my friends think I am a fool. And yet I still love this man. Today his family and I made the painful decision that this time when he is discharged none of us will be going to get him. None of us will be taking him in. We know we have been horrible enablers and rescuers and we pray that somehow this might be the one thing that saves his life. I have told his counselor that they will need to help him find a place to go. He has no job. He has no money. I am so scared for him.

I am also so angry. I am so sad. This man has destroyed me financially. He has done terrible things to me. He has embarassed and humiliated me. And yet I have hung on to the hope that someday the man I married is coming back to me.

Now I must accept that he isn't ever coming back. I must let go of all the dreams we shared and the plans we made. I know I must love myself more than I love him and let him go. I must start to spend the energy taking care of myself that I have always spent taking care of him. I get up every day and put one foot in front of the other and then I breath and hope it will hurt a little less than the day before. Can anyone help me with how to let him go?
True your story may not be different... but only you can make it different. I'm truly sorry for your pain... but as with most stories... the pain is what sets us free... when we have had enough pain... we leave.

I think pain is a gift from our HP... pain lets us know that something isn't right and it's up to us to change that and that doesn't mean changing anyone other than yourself or your situation.

As for your friends... God love em... I've had friends come and go aswell... lost a 30 year friendship over my STBXAH... but I realize that some people aren't meant to be friends forever... maybe some friends are nudges to put us in the right direction... the friend coming and going is an indicator... not a validation of your worth....pay attention to what life is telling you.... pay attention to what you are telling you.

My divorce will be final December 8th. I've learned that I was strong enough to endure the crappy rollercoaster... I am strong enough to make it on my own... with help and love of HP.

Take care of yourself and read, read, read the stickies!