Thread: Bankruptcy
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((Suzette)))

My dad had a near-perfect credit rating 1-1/2 years ago, and he just filed for bankruptcy a couple months ago. He is self-employed and the business just hasn't been there. With him, he had to take an online course, something about credit counseling or something like that and then he was assigned a case number. Once he went to the lawyer, he told all the people calling him "I've filed for bankruptcy, contact my lawyer". Some of them keep calling and he repeated the same thing until they quit calling.

Two months later, the bankruptcy STILL hasn't gone through and he had to file the chapter 13 (I think - the one he has to pay back, but the payment is WAY less than what he was paying). However, he isn't stressed by all the creditors.

It was a huge blow to his ego, but he finally realized he is not alone and it wasn't because he didn't work hard, or try hard enough. The economy is horrible, these days, and I may have to file, myself. I'm working two jobs, doing a very inexpensive online course to get a better career, and I'm unable to pay MY bills.

Don't be so hard on yourself, okay? I'm saving it as a last resort, and trying to find another job to replace the main one I have that's not paying me worth a darn, but who knows? We do what we have to do. We certainly can't change the economy. That's one of those things we have NO control over, sweetie.

Love, hugs, and prayers!

Amy