Thread: Bankruptcy
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pinkcuda

We had to file a couple years back and I'm glad I did. The phone calls stop immediatley as a letter is sent out to all your listed creditors.
You go to Court where your Lawyer and the Trustee are Friends. They work together on a daily basis. In almost every case it was like a "Poof" and all the debts were discharged.
I didn't feel the least bit guilty because our debts included mostly medical bills for procedures that should have never happened. That got the debt snowballing and there was no other way out. The Lawyer asked me how it felt to tell them to take their $57k bill and pount it.
But!!! There's always a but. Your loan on the house and your cars is also discharged as well. Fortunatley as long as you keep paying you can keep them you are entitled to keep them.
Learn from this and modify your ways. As soon as the debts are discharged the creditors will see this and see that your debt to income ration is favorable. You will be getting offers for credit cards in the mail every day. Take three of them and rebuild with them. Keep your balances low and your cards paid on time and you'll be right back where yu wanted to be in the first place.
I went from a 430 to a 700 in two years and there's no way in hell that could have happened while I was juggling bills that required more than I made every month to pay them.