Thread: Blew it
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jomey

I spent a lot of years "solving" problems by drinking, today a drink never even enters into the equation of dealing with life
Well said, Taz!

I remember a night when when I was fairly new to sobriety, and my husband had taken our two older kids to the local rodeo. One of my sons fell off the bleachers and hit his head, knocking him unconsious. I will never forget the panic that hit me when I got the call from my husband. I immediately started to shake and cry, panic and pray, all at once. I jumped in my truck with my youngest, dropped him off at my inlaws and navigated the back roads from our farm community to the town hospital on a dark, rainy night....several hours later, when my son got the all-clear from the doctor and we were waiting for his discharge papers, I started to shake and cry again...all I could think of was 'WHAT IF I HAD BEEN DRUNK??" How would I have handled it, been available to my family, DRIVEN, if I had been drinking.

After that night, when I still experienced cravings for alcohol, I would, as they say, play the tape through to the end....the way the night turned out because I was sober, and what could have happened if I had been drinking. It still has the power to stop me in my tracks.

Your little guy needs you and you are doing a great job getting him the help he needs. It's awesome that he trusts you so much to come to you with something that must be weighing so heavily on his young heart. Please, for your son's sake and your own, don't ever put yourself in the position of not being "available" because you are drinking.

Do whatever it takes.... and please keep us posted.

Jomey