View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

I just want to find MY OWN method of recovery
gingerblue for most folks in AA, myself amoung them, the last thing I wanted to do was use AA to recover, I wanted to do it my way!

Have you tried any other programs?

There are folks that do find recovery kind of on thier own here, they do it using SR as thier support. I use SR as a supplement for my AA program.

After trying "My own methods of recovery" for many years which resulted in the last 5 years of my drinking not drawing a sober breath I was finally able to surrender to the fact that "My own methods of recovery" did not work. While in medical detox for my alcoholism I was desperate and hopeless for a long term solution to my alcoholism. Well in detox they told us that if we wanted a chance at long term sobriety to try going to at leastr 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

It only took me 10 years of trying to recover using "My own methods of recovery" to figure out that if my way did not work perhaps I should try a program that did work for other alcoholics! I used the one thing that I for many years swore I would never do because I am different, I am strong, I have the brain and will power to over come my alcoholism! I mean after all every thing in my life for 50+ years I had accomplished that I had put my mind and my will power to!

Look forget AA, there are other programs out there that do work for other people, why not work them? I do not mean spend a few days trying them, REALLY WORK them, no program works for any alcoholic unless they work the program like other recovering alcoholics work them.

Try them all, AA will always be there if you decide to try it.

Perhaps you can find recovery with SR alone, but even then it will take you being willing to try things that others here have found that work for them.