View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LeeRoy

About 6 months ago his "recreational" use that I knew of but that did not occur in my home, mostly on weekends kind of thing, turned into full blown chaos. This progress during his Senior year in high school. Some of this I attribute to an availability of cash since when he graduated his grandmother gave him a check for $3000 for school. None of that money made it through the summer. He and friends drove over the border in Mexico and bought Xanax/Bars, downers, uppers, etc. He became very depressed when he lost the final $800 or so after getting in a fight with a large gang of guys. This fight was reportedly due to out of control behavior brought on by taking a variety of drugs in addition to using air duster/huffing. A suicide attempt followed. Then more crazy drug related behavior which ended with him head butting his sister who is 15. He then went to rehab and was released early because he wasn't working the program, didn't want to be there and facility asked that he be discharged. He came home, got a job, began counseling and made arrangements for outpatient treatment but after about one week of work failed a random drug test. We then laid down the law regarding sobriety...if you want to use drugs that's your choice but you must leave our home, if you want to work on maintaining sobriety you may stay. He chose to leave and go to "stay" with his friends who are at university. He was suppose to begin as well but was in rehab at the beginning of the semester.

Not sure he is technicaly addicted but is definitely an abuser. Although his DOC is pot, when this was at its worst, he would take anything and in large amounts mixing all sorts of medications and street drugs.

He is rational and says he is tired of all of the crap that comes with drug use and will pursue sobriety. Also wants to go to college in December.

Comments from the more experienced? All input is welcome I am really at a loss to know how to best proceed. I alway want to believe the best of him but as you know, sometimes the person I know and the user are not the same.