Thread: talking
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

I was just wondering if you still try to talk them into seeing that they have a problem or perhaps true detachment is going your way and letting them go theirs.
No. I do not try to talk them into anything. If they can't see, they can't see, and I'm no miracle worker. You can't turn a blind man into a seeing man... Not trying to force your opinion on someone else is a sign of detachment but detachment does not necessarily mean physical detachment. You can detach from a person but still live in the same house. Detaching while keeping them in your life is harder than if you don't associate with the alcoholic, but it can be done....

Do you still talk with your alcoholic about their alcoholism? Does it seem to help?
Does it seem to help what? Or whom? Does it help me to talk to an alcoholic about their own alcoholism? No. Can it help an alcoholic if someone talks to them about their alcoholism? Yes. It's not likely to do much to get the alcoholic to change, but it can help them if they want to be helped.