Thread: HowLong?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by Saphie View Post
Or are you saying you will be tempted, but you don't fear it because you worked all the steps and that will help you being able to withstand temptation?
Don't mean to be confusing. It's not about temptation at all. The temptation is removed as the result of the steps. I don't have to fight it. Alcohol is neutral. I believe that powerless means just that, powerless. If I try to fight against temptation, I will almost certainly fail. Not to mention the fear I'll always have. That alcoholic mind will always return to drinking. With a firm acceptance of Step 1, however, I know I'm powerless, and I surrender to the fight. I give in to the simple program and that alcoholic mind is transformed.

I really just wanted to know whether it could take years to complete step one.
I can't imagine taking years to complete any of the steps. I'd have been way drunk long before that happened. I do think that years of drinking and being unable to stop helped me to accept the truth of Step 1 very quickly once I started examing the physical compulsion and mental obsession aspects.

I would like to work all steps, but I know I will have big problems with two and three.
Knowing that you will have a problem is a problem. That's why I stress the open mind. I came into AA as a staunch atheist, and found it pretty straightforward. Am I willing to believe? That's enough. Can I see my life clearly without a higher power? If so, am I willing to give my life over even if I don't understand it? I have two choices: My life without that power, or something else. I don't have to know what that something else is.