Thread: Inspiration!!
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

I relate to the music thing, to the using as part of getting into a full intense mindstate experience. I miss that, but know that I can't use because of the other ways it messes with my life.

I haven't got a lot of clean time so I haven't found a way to replace that. I have things I do that I can totally get into, and that I love, but there do seem to be some aspects of that high that are gone from my life and I may just have to get over.

I'm a bit older than you, 43, and I've had this experience repeatedly in my life, having to accept that a certain ability or experience is no longer available to me, for any number of reasons. It is scary, and there is a grieving process, but there are new areas of life and full rich experiences to be had.

That's not a band aid, I mean it. Yes, real doors have closed to me. I literally can never eat onion rings again. and that seems small, but it's something I miss. But there are other things I know and have discovered that are awesome, that have come into my life. I don't constantly have to make do or settle for a lesser experience.

But yeah, there are things that I've had to leave behind that I really just miss and mourn and get melancholy over. Some things simply won't have a replacement or substitute.

Sex is something that has gotten better over time, that was a wonderful surprise. I have really been able to get into hiking, driving, laying out for meteor showers, those are really amazing intense experiences for me, that I didn't get that kind of reaction to when I was younger.

And certain foods..I've become a pepper and chocolate afficianado, I collect them and try all different types and it's been really interesting to me.

concerts..even if I don't use, sometimes they can mess me up.

In June I went to see NIN with my sons, and I hadn't used for a while, and didn't use that night, but I got SO into it, that same feeling,. it brought it all back, even without using, that it actually gave me the hunger again, and a few nights later, remembering how awesome I'd felt at the concert I started using again to recapture that...because I don't have the luxury of being able to afford a concert experience all that regularly.

So, I really appreciate what you are going through, and I haven't got an answer except to say that there are other varieties of amazing experiences to be had, but no, they don't seem to make me miss some of the genuinely good experiences that unfortunately were attached to using for me.