Thread: Therapy
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
BS08

I don't know what I'd do without my therapist. I have been seeing (now doing phone sessions due to my move) since 2006. I don't talk to her weekly like I used to, just maybe once every other month or so (I wasn't talking to her at all while with my exABF. How it would of been different if I had).

The thing I value about my therapist is that she challenges me to see things in ways I don't want to. Things I won't admit to or want to face. She doesn't let me get away with anything. If I start squirming on the phone or couch, she knows to ask what's going on in my head. She helped me to see how much I was talking in the third person (using "I" more instead of "you" "we" "they") which helped me stay present and take responsibilities for my feelings and how it was affecting me. You tend to have the blinders on she has the clearer picture. I've had so many AHA moments in my therapy that it's been amazing. Trying to change old habits and feelings though are still my challenge.

I have a lot going on inside right now due to my breakup and reconnecting with my family. It's so overwhelming at times I just feel I want to give up, but she refocuses me and helps me deal. Friends are great too, but they can't really understand the constant turmoil in me. They can empathize, but aren't quite equipped with giving me the tools to truly deal with it. They don't know them themselves. My therapist has those tools to share, and they really do help...

I talk with her more lately but just can't afford it. Just wish it wasn't so damn expensive...