Thread: Therapy
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Brentos

I've never gone to see a therapist for more than a couple months at a time, choosing to think and ponder on things myself mostly, however there has been one that has really helped me. Shopping around, for me, was the best idea imaginable. Alot of them weren't connecting with me on any level and thus making trust hard to maintain, which is something that is big for me. It was moreso just learning about what makes me tick better. After shopping around and learning who's best for me I really noticed that my perspective changed towards a few things. I became more open to different thought processes, patterns and possibilities which I had forgotten over the years and in general it helped slowly, very slowly, get the ball rolling on my overall health and recovery from alcoholism, depression, and anxiety. I wasn't necessarily learning anything new, I was putting things that I had forgotten about how to live healthy - emotionally, physically, spiritually - in the front row of my consciousness and then evaluating them from there.

I haven't seen my therapist in around 8 months and my conditions are slowly, but steadily, improving. Took me a while like I said but if you get the right therapist they can be a great source of brain food. I also got mine for free through our social assistance programs here in Toronto. It really makes me smile that the one that's free offered me the most.

"Therapy works if you want it to." That's pretty true from my view, the work comes from the one seeking help, not the other way around. I wish it was so, oh man I would have loved someone to take me by the hand and guide me through this entire life thing at one point, however I understand now that that isn't the best way to handle things. Learning how to learn, just like how elementary school teaches us, was the best thing for me as independence and self confidence go hand in hand in alot of ways (if practiced right ofcourse).

I'll be seeing my therapist again for a couple/few months to tie up some loose ends, defragment what's left, and then bid her adieu. Therapy for me has been a very positive experience in the end. At first...not so much. Took 3 years before I found one that worked for me so it can take some time.

Wishing you the best Bam.