Thread: Relapse
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
intheknow

Originally Posted by Mambo Queen View Post
And I guess I'll point out the obvious here too and state that he's not a dry drunk because he's not "dry". Lite beer still has alcohol in it. That used to be all I drank, and I got plenty drunk on it, believe me.
My own RAH kept changing his drink of choice when the going got rough. It was somehow the fault of the alcohol, and had nothing to do with the amount being consumed in a sitting. Bud heavy was replaced with Bud light. Hard liquor was replaced with beer. At one point, beer was even replaced with N/A beer - but the entire 12 pack was gone in no time. The hard liquor was ok for a while as long as it was controlled amounts and not before or after a certain time on the clock.

We went thru long periods of not drinking, to be quickly followed with an all out bender. He is/was a binge drinker. Alcohol did not have the same after effects on him as it did on others, he was never hung over. Not that he admitted to anyway. He was a dry drunk too, never getting help - thinking that he could do it himself. Go to a few counseling sessions, read a few books, don't drink. Simple, right?

It was not until he decided to make a change that anything was going to be different. And he completed rehab and I can tell you that some things are different, but many things aren't.

Rehab took away the addiction, but didn't change the addict.