Thread: sobriety date
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
brother
its a half an inch of water

I found useful principles in this AA pamphlet: The A.A. Member-Medications and Other Drugs (can be found at aa.org)

Most memorable suggestions like:
Remembering that as a recovering alcoholic my automatic response is to turn to chemical relief from uncomfortable feelings...
I emphasized relief - I found that pills provided "ease and comfort" for everyday life without the side effects of alcohol (no smell, hangover, or DUI). The whole experience was very seductive and led me to become indifferent about treating my spiritual malady.

Also: No AA member plays Doctor.
Obviously, self-medicating is playing doctor. But my sponsor taught me more by refusing to give me direct advice on specific prescribed medications for me. He directs me to be honest with my doctor about recovery. (I've heard some well-meaning AA'ers give advice that crosses this boundary).

What I've learned the hard way: if what the Doc prescribes me has a street value (i.e. opiates/benzos etc. vs anti-depressants), I'm on a slippery slope.
I want more of the easier, softer way instead of daily spiritual maintenance.

PS
Mood altering substances come in many forms - at present I'm not ready to give up caffeine/nicotine until I find myself trying to snort coffee grounds or tobacco!