View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

I'm so happy for you...and a little scared too, remembering when I was where you are, all squeaky clean and wondering 'what next'?

It's an adventure, and there are so many options out there. And what works for you now may change, the best advice I can give you is some given to me ages ago, before I could even see I had any addiction issues let alone consider taking them on...the advice is "stay open to changing perspectives"

Roll with it. If you pledge to stay open, and really mean it with your whole heart, that you will stay open...then you will realize that all the elements of sobriety are available to you. Today a 12 step group may be just what you need, but in 9 weeks you may find personal journaling to be your best friend, there may be times you find a "sponsor" or recovery buddy to be a godsend, other times when you need to do things on your own. But if you pledge to stay open, and to always seek and make use of the elements of sobriety available to you...you will work out a recovery program that works.

Don't assume that if one program doesn't perfectly fit you, that nothing will work, or that you aren't meant to be sober.

you are here, that's a great start...I'd use this as home base, and when ever questions arise, pop in here...make some connections so when you start spinning a bit, there is someone you can reach out to.