View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 04:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
NewMe11109
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Originally Posted by gingerblue View Post
I know I need to seek a program or therapy. Probably both. I agree, willpower only goes so far-then the excuses/reasons to drink sneak up on you again. For today--willpower is pretty much all I have to go on. And the lovely and supportive people of this forum..

It's a start, right?

Thank you all for your welcome. I hope to stick around and contribute, will definitely be reading. The people here are wonderful...and I find it helpful to come here and just read when I am feeling weak or just down on myself.

Oh...LOVING all the Kim's around here!!
It is a great start, yes. Be proud of yourself.

What is said a lot - and is very true - is that the alcohol was just our solution to our real problem(s). In order to work on those real problems (anger, depression, fear, anxiety, etc.), we need to be sober. But, just being sober won't help us fix those problems. That is where the program of recovery comes in.

I am on SR everyday and in an AA meeting at least once a week. I speak at local homeless shelters, 90-day rehab programs, and hospitals. I help newcomers and try to help people with their underlying problems.

Why? Not because I am such a nice guy, but rather because when I am thinking of others and helping others, I am not thinking about myself and drinking.

So, start slow. Find a recovery program. Talk to people. Write on SR. This will help you begin the process. One day at a time. You don't have to solve it all today, just focus on not drinking today.

I am really very happy now and have no intention of letting alcohol spoil that.