View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  
HideorSeek

Morning!

Thank you for sharing Nel and you, too, Bee. I, too, come from a dysfunctional family. For a long while, I blamed my alcoholism on my genes. I think that I have finally realized that where it came from and why are irrelevant...what does matter is how I deal with it. To own it as mine, I guess. My family does offer me examples of various stages and forms of alcoholism: never recovered, never acknowledged, recovered, but dry. But you are right, we cannot control others' lives...why is that so hard to accept? Those 2 words that you used, Nell, popped out of your post for me: lack of control and acceptance. These two concepts continue to come up for me and my HP is using a cosmic highlighter to point them out again and again.

Bro...I'm glad that you are posting and trying to understand the crack that undermined you. I am convinced that sobriety is a process. In my meetings, many have said...it took every drink I had to get here. I think that there is value in trying to figure out our weak spots, but equal value in jumping over the whys and just accepting the fact that we can't drink. But honestly, that final, unequivocal acceptance is a mystery and, I think, very individual. Yet it is the one necessary piece of the jigsaw, IMHO.

The beach and ocean...ahhhhhhhh, yes....well I think it reminds us of how insignificant we are. All of it's moods are so profound and it just stretches on and on..

Obviously, Ro...I got mine and your profundity dosage this a.m.....