View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Boleo
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
....is it wise to change the things you use to do to avoid drinking? in my case i use to love drinking while playing video games, or while cooking dinner.....I love gaming as its my hobby so id hate to lose it do to an association....any advice?
I learned the hard way through many relapses that even if I avoided so-called "triggers" I would invent one when I needed an excuse to drink. When I finally had the obsession removed from me (I did not do it myself) I could do most (but not all) of the things that I thought were triggers.

For the first few months I did find it necessary to stay away from "wet faces & wet places" but now I don't need to even worry about that. I still don't hang around drunks & bars without a good reason but it is more a matter of preference than fear. I did not enjoy those things before I started drinking and find I have returned to that same attitude now that I have stopped.

My advice is to get a sponsor and let him/her decide when you are ready to go back to your old haunts & habits. Don't trust your own judgment in this matter.