View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Saphie

CoWorkerNeedsHelp

This one is actually not about me me me. I'm doing surprisingly well. Day 40 tomorrow and not half as much thinking about it. Anyway I really need some advise on whether or not I should approach a co-worker about his drinking problem. He is in so much trouble and I don't know if he will live much longer. Every day his withdrawals are so obvious, his whole body is shaking to the point where he can't hold a cup. His breath reeks of booze and his personal hygiene is, well I don't think he cares anymore. He isn't eating and very skinny. Our boss has given him warnings and discussed things but he denies having a drinking problem. He misses most Mondays, due to some accidental injury: Been jumped, shower ceiling fell on his head, been mauled by a dog to mention but a few. He is a very smart guy and it is such a waste at 49. Now it seems that his days are numbered at work, because he doesn't accept help. I have mentioned my recovery to him in the past, hoping he would open up, but nothing. Is there anything I should say or do? I know we are the only ones that can help ourselves, but I'm really worried one day no-one will care whether he turns up for work and he'll be found at home and it's too late.