View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Thx2HP
Thx2HP

My first introduction to identifying differently...

Originally Posted by Lily View Post
All I can say is if I was a newcomer and came in off the street to my first meeting and was an "anda" and said it and people made a big deal about it, I wonder if I would be feeling the "attraction" to return to the rooms. Hmmmm
When I was in my 28-day treatment program, I attended an in-house AA meeting (it was the only meeting that day). I identified myself with 7 days clean as an addict. Bunches of heads whipped around and I swear glared at me. Someone said, "Well then you shouldn't speak, because this is an AA meeting. If you're not an alcoholic, you should just listen." I was instantly turned off, freaked out, and felt less than/different than, etc. I don't ever want to make anyone in an NA meeting feel like that.

Sometimes when people continue to come back and identify themselves as "hope-to-die dope fiends" or "addict/alcoholics," etc., I've lovingly taken them aside after a meeting and just said, "I'm curious; why don't you feel comfortable simply identifying as an addict?" Sometimes this throws them for a loop and gives them pause. Sometimes their answer indicates confusion with the program. But it never embarrasses them or makes them feel unwelcome.