View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
joedris

Well, stop beating yourself up, very few of us make it without at least one relapse. In reading your thread i saw the magic words "I started feeling better and hadn't gone to a meeting in a couple of weeks...." And of course there's the litany of excuses - work traveling, life responsibilities, things are getting better, and so on. You set yourself up here, and the drink was the last step in the long process of relapse. I'm like Keith in that the slogans don't mean much to me. Now. Initially, they did. I kept coming back until I began to understand what recovery is all about. Now I keep going back because my recovery requires it.

You made a bad choice in drinking. Learn from it. Move on. You made a couple of good choices, too. You told your sponsor. (Were you really going to try and hide it from him?) And you came back to the program. Shows you've learned something along the way. I doubt this was a test from your higher power. It was simply a lesson in life, and it looks like you gained something from it.