View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hammer
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Sponsor . . . . Shopping? Tips?

Well, I have done my six Al-Anon meetings.

Yunno. Six meetings and you are One Of Us (repeat) One Of Us. One Of Us.

So there I am and here I am for some time to come from what I understand.

Somewhere down the path, I understand that a Sponsor is part of the path?

I like to do look-ahead and roadmap as much as possible and often more than possible, so I asked something about it at the second meeting -- and the older ladies sort of chuckled and said there would plenty of time for that.

I say "older ladies" because most seem older or at least as old as I am and it is mostly women. (btw, I am a guy, 48). I was pretty much a basket case my first couple of meetings, so bless their co-dependent souls they have sort of adopted me as a special case. Not a good thing, but I know the look and behaviors. OK. Things are what they are.

I follow the sponsor thing is usually same sex -- keeps the 13th steps down -- so to speak -- from what I follow. On the other hand, Mrs. Hammer tells me she wound up in bed with her first AA sponsor (12 years ago -- female pole dancer who totally relapsed at 10 months), so even that is not really fully true. At any rate, I am just as comfortable or not -- male or female, I guess -- most of my PTSD recovery group was female -- at least the sane ones. My therapist is a woman, and most the folks in Al-Anon are women.

I am babbling. What I wanted to ask for is tips, pointers, don't-do, when, where, how, etc. on the Sponsor thing. Any tips, experiences, etc., would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks.