View Single Post
Old 06-04-2004, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ashley80

Jane, since you are on more than one med, I think it would be a good idea to be under a doctor's care. Cold turkey is really rough, and if you are ordering from the internet (like I was) and taking more than 50-60 mgs of hydro per day (I was taking LOTS more than that), it is going to be a week of pain and sickness.

There are doctors who can prescribe meds to help. Can you tell your family doctor and ask him what the thinks is best for you? Inpatient or at-home detox?

There's no pain-free way to do it - you just have to be prepared to suffer a little, but it's WORTH IT. I also sent you a private message with some info about suboxone, a detox drug.

Finally, once the actual detox is over, there are some lingering symptoms, like insomnia and depression. How long they last often depends on how much and how long you were using/abusing. AND, the detox is only the very first step. Relapse is common, so you will need to find a way to stay clean. NA has been helping me, and there are other programs as well. Whatever works for you, but do consider checking it out. Cravings and urges can be overwhelming.

I wish you the best. I have been where you are, more than once, and I am doing my very best to NEVER go back.
Ashley